Wednesday 28 February 2018

I was a Crewe obsessive. Now I’m so ashamed of my club I’ve divorced them | Adam Breeze

Since the crimes committed by Barry Bennell at the club came to light those in charge have shown a seeming lack of empathy

Last year I divorced my football team. After 38 years of a few ups and mostly downs I let go of Crewe Alexandra.

I was not a casual fan. I was obsessed. I was proud of the miracle that transformed the perennial laughing stock into everyone’s second-favourite team. Ours was a story that celebrated everything that was right in the beautiful game. In a world of multimillionaire players, oligarch owners and fickle fans Crewe Alex were the beacon of hope: a club with a fabled reputation for nurturing local talent and playing a style of football that was a purist’s dream.

Continue reading...

from Football | The Guardian http://ift.tt/2CKCEGa

No comments:

Post a Comment