Saturday 28 July 2018

The weird world of football's greatest conman Carlos Kaiser | Rob Smyth

In an extract from his new book Kaiser!, which accompanies the film of the same name, Rob Smyth looks at some of the tricks used by football’s greatest con artist

Eri Johnson, one of Brazil’s most famous actors, will never forget the first time he met footballing royalty. “The first time I saw Kaiser,” he says, “he was crossing the street with such swagger that I thought, ‘That guy must be one of the best footballers in the world.’”

As a big football fan, Johnson had no idea who Kaiser was. But the way Renato Gaúcho greeted Kaiser made Johnson think he was in the presence of someone different. “I even regret not getting up back then. I apologise to Kaiser for that. I’d already met Pelé but I thought the way Kaiser walked was more distinguished. I should have got on my knees, because those legs were incredible!”

Continue reading...

from Football | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2mOV2YQ

No comments:

Post a Comment