Saturday 29 September 2018

Liverpool’s Alisson: ‘My saves are not to show off for the camera’

Liverpool’s £65m goalkeeper goes up against Chelsea’s £71.6m Kepa Arrizabalaga on Saturday but the Brazilian is not bothered about his price tag and happy with his move to Anfield

Absurd and crazy are the words Alisson chooses to describe his £65m transfer fee. In the end the Brazilian was the most expensive goalkeeper on the planet for all of 20 days before Chelsea invested an extra £6.6m in Kepa Arrizabalaga, ensuring there will be £136.6m worth of talent between the posts at Stamford Bridge when the title contenders renew hostilities on Saturday. Alisson’s description of his price tag does not reflect unease, however. As the younger brother of a professional goalkeeper, the son of parents who kept goal for the works football team and the school handball team and the great-grandson of an amateur league goalkeeper in his hometown of Novo Hamburgo, there is satisfaction at what this summer’s transfer market symbolises for his trade. It is the price of turning hope into expectation at Liverpool.

“When I went up from the youth team to the first team at Internacional it was a risk – they were almost betting on me making it,” says Alisson, who gives long, considered answers to every question he faces in an executive lounge at Anfield. “Similarly when I went to Roma from Brazil there was an element of risk in that move too but when Liverpool signed me there was a lot more certainty about it. I appreciate some people think that it’s a crazy, absurd amount of money, I understand that, but what is more important for me is the expectation that is placed on me. I’m coming off the best season I’ve ever had and I’m hoping to do even better this season. During that period I was the most expensive goalkeeper in the world and that was quickly followed by Chelsea signing Kepa. I’m calm about it. I’ve always worked really hard and I’ll continue working the same way whatever the size of the transfer fee.

Continue reading...

from Football | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2IonquV

No comments:

Post a Comment